Here at Honest Car Dealer, we work hard to give you an inside scoop about just what it’s like to be a car dealer, clearing up any misconceptions about the car-buying process and hopefully saving you some headaches—and maybe a buck or two—in the process. Here are seven things you should know about car dealers when shopping for a new or used car.
What You Need to Know
These aren’t the only tips we have for car-buyers, but we think they’re some of the most important:
- Car salesmen aren’t auto experts: They know a bit about the cars they are selling, some even can recite you a vehicle’s stats by heart, but at the end of the day, they aren’t mechanics or professional drivers. Do your own research, don’t trust theirs.
- Salesmen aren’t your friends either: Don’t ever forget that the salesman’s job is not to find you the perfect car, it’s to sell you a car. At the end of the day, the sale means more to them than your being happy with it.
- Dealers aren’t charities: If it sounds like they’re giving you something for free, rethink it and ask for any details. Dealerships don’t make money by giving things away, and even low interest rates often come with a catch.
- Don’t believe in no-haggle pricing: It is very rare that a price or an interest rate is as low as it can go. If someone tells you that they have no-haggle pricing and they’re serious, go elsewhere.
- Knowledge is power: As we said, car dealers aren’t experts. Do your own research, including how much the car you’re shopping for is worth and sells for at other dealerships.
- Does it sound too good to be true?: The old adage of “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is” holds to car dealerships as well. As with anything they seem to be giving you for free, be sure to look for any catches before signing for anything.
- There’s no such thing as a great deal: Sometimes you’ll be able to get a good deal, even a really good deal, but they will always come back. Don’t ever believe that you’re being offered the best deal ever and that it goes away. Remember, they want to sell you the car; the good deal will come back.
Keep following Honest Car Dealer for more tips from behind the scenes.
November 3, 2014 by launchadmin