At Honest Car Dealer, we do our best to let you in on the tricks of the trade, whether that’s how to spot a dishonest car dealer or just making sure you are well-informed when shopping for your next vehicle. So today we have our Top 10 Car Buying Mistakes to Avoid to help out new and used car shoppers in their search for a new vehicle.
Common Car Buying Mistakes
- Buy in a hurry. The last thing you want to do is make huge financial decisions in a hurry. It’s no fun to go without a car, but it’s less fun to be with a car you don’t want and out a lot of money.
- Fail to test drive your next car. If you’ve been following our blog for even a little bit, you should know how important this step is.
- Fail to have your new car inspected by a mechanic you trust. We think this one is self explanatory; have a mechanic you know give your next used car a look.
- Not considering a used car. There are benefits to a new car, but it’s also a significant investment that dramatically drops in value the second you drive it off the lot. At least consider a Certified Pre-Owned car.
- Trading in your vehicle. Trading in your car is the easiest way to knock the price of your next vehicle down, but you will almost always make more money selling the car to an individual than to a dealership.
- Failing to do your research. This one is broad, but you should really look into both the car(s) you are shopping for and the dealership(s) you’ll be visiting to make sure that there are no issues with the vehicles and that the dealership has a good reputation.
- Spending over your budget. Set a budget, then give yourself a little wiggle room by lowering it and treating that as your shopping budget.
- Not finding out about fees. That wiggle room in your budget will be necessary if you don’t know about the taxes and fees for your next car.
- Getting features you don’t want. Go in knowing what features you want and don’t be swayed by offers of upgrades.
- Not buying the car you need. Don’t go to the dealership looking for a small sedan and leave with a muscle car or SUV.
Shop Smart and Check Back Often
We hope that tips like these can help you make a smart choice on your next car, and be sure to check back soon for more tips and tricks from your Honest Car Dealer.
June 19, 2015 by Jamie Rettig